As 2013 draws to a close, I will be posting a five part series of things that I’ve learned from the past year or so through my own experiences, or observing the experiences of my friends and family.
Let’s just say it’s been educational.
- Take one for the team every once in a while. Be the DD, take care of the tip, dance with the weird friend of the hot guy who’s hitting on your friend.
- If you have a really terrible date, at least it will make a really great story later.
- Life is too short to stay angry. Forgive people.
- Sometimes your attitude really does need an adjustment.
- If something is important to you, don’t let anyone knock it.
- No one is going to hand you success. You need to work hard to get what you want.
- Life exists outside of technology. The world won’t stop turning if you walk away from your phone for an hour.
- It’s just hair. It grows back.
- Personal choices are just that – personal. Don’t expect everyone to drop everything to accommodate your life choices. Bring your own gluten-free/organic/free-range/vegan accouterments and stop whining.
- “Total Eclipse of the Heart” is the perfect song for any mood or occasion.
- Hummus on a rosemary and olive oil bagel, green tea, lots of water, 1500mg of ibuprofen and breath mints is a solid way to cope with a hangover at work.
- At the very least, you need to live up to your own standards.
- Bobby pins have magical properties that allow them to disappear forever when you need them the most.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff.
- Everyone’s a geek about something. Don’t hide it.
- A legitimate reason to want a boyfriend is so he can bring you a beer and tell you you’re pretty when you do yard work.
- If asked for advice, give it as best you can, but be mindful of boundaries.
- Having cramps and being bloated needs to stop being an excuse to be a raging bitch once a month. Suck it up, take a Midol, and smile. If that’s too much to handle, commit yourself to solitary confinement for a few days.
- There is no point in being a grown up if you can’t be childish sometimes.
- Never change yourself for a guy, and never expect him to change for you.
- Physical activity is an excellent way to relieve stress.
- Being single a year out of college is not a guarantee you’re going to be single for the rest of your life. Stop bemoaning your fate of becoming a cat lady.
- Challenge yourself to step outside your comfort zone.
- Communication is everything. No one can read minds.
- It’s not too much to ask to want to be treated how a guy says he feels about you.