As 2013 draws to a close, I will be posting a five part series of things that I’ve learned from the past year or so through my own experiences, or observing the experiences of my friends and family.
Let’s just say it’s been educational.
- Do not base your self-worth on anyone’s opinion but your own.
- Never say the words “how could it possibly get worse?” out loud unless you’re fully prepared to find out.
- There is no shame in walking away.
- Be polite. Be honest. Be kind. And be the delightful badass everyone knows and loves.
- Never leave anything unsaid. The “what if” will always be worse than any possible answer.
- Sometimes a lobster is nothing more than a red herring. Keep fishing.
- The past is a nice place to visit from time to time, but everyone has to live in the present.
- Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. No one is entitled to force others to share said opinions.
- Believe in something bigger than you. Something that you will never understand. Whether it’s God or the Universe, just believe in something because when everything else fails, which is bound to happen, all you’ll have left is your faith that things will get better.
- You never realize how dependent you’ve become on someone until they stop talking to you.
- Timing is literally everything.
- Being picky is different than having standards.
- The more people you hide things from the less support you’ll have if things fall apart.
- Sometimes a guy’s idea of subtlety is the equivalent of writing “subtle” on a brick and throwing it through your front window.
- Being upset means wallowing in pity and self-loathing. Being angry means getting shit done.
- Never give anyone more power over you than you have over your circumstances.
- Revisiting old playlists from high school and college is awesome and hilarious.
- Always assume the best of people until they choose to be their worst selves.
- There’s a fine line between being loving and being controlling.
- You never need that last drink. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have it.
- You have to love yourself before you can worry about loving someone else.
- Make sure you know the difference between self-deprecation and self-sabotage.
- Always have gum or mints on you. Dragon breath doesn’t work for anyone except Smaug.
- There are some things that you will never fully understand or know the reasons behind. The sooner you can accept that, the sooner you can move on with your life.
- You are special and unique and wonderful. You are also the rule, not the exception.